A Pittsburgh Tradition Since 1870
When the Oyster House first opened in 1870, oysters sold for a penny and beers was 10 cents a glass. The enormous fish sandwiches, which require a special bun, were introduced by Louis "Silver Dollar Louie" Americus, who was the proprietor from 1916 to 1970. The delicious coating on the fish and oysters, a recipe of Mrs. Americus, is still utilized by the kitchen staff.
Mr. Americus was also the originator of much of the interior décor. He attended all the Miss America Pageants, returning each time with pictures of the contestants which he used to grace the walls of the tavern.
It has been a favorite location for the movie industry having had 25 films shot on location. The most recent of which are "Innocent Blood," starring Bob Loggia, "Three Rivers," starring Bruce Willis, "Cemetery Club," starring Danny Aiello, and the most famous film "Night of the Living Dead" written and directed by local Pittsburgh talent.
Our story as the Original Oyster House has been told and retold for generations. We continue to share that story while serving the best tavern seafood in the city.